How do I stop a logging plan?

This is a big question and the answer is not simple.  That is why Forest Unlimited holds Forest Protection Workshops.   The answer may depend upon the method of logging, the type of logging plan filed, the location of the logging, the stage of review and many other factors.  It is best to contact us and discuss the particular circumstances of the logging that prompts your concern.

What is a “Timber Harvest Plan” or a “Nonindustrial Timber Management Plan”?

There are two types of logging plans filled on behalf of a private landowner by a private forester.   A Timber Harvest Plan (THP) is a document that describes where and how the proposed logging of conifers will be done and supposedly how it will protect the environment.   The California Department of Forestry will review the plan for conformance with the Forest Practice Rules (actually regulations adopted by the Board of Forestry).   If it is found to be in conformance with the rules, the Forest Practice Act (FPA) and the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA), CDF will approve the plan.   Only then is it legal to log and only in the manner prescribed by the plan.   After completion of the logging, approval ceases and if the landowner wishes to log again, a new plan must be filed and approved. A Nonindustrial Timber Management Plan, is like a THP except only landowners of less that 2500 acres can apply, it is limited to selection silviculture and one approval allows it to be logged in purpituity.   Essentially, it is an open ended logging plan. Because of the way the Board of Forestry defines “timberland”, a permit form CDF is not required to cut Oak Woodlands.   There are also several types of logging of conifers that do not require permits known as “exemptions”.   For example, clearing around a dwelling consistent with the Forest Practice Rules requires no permit, only a notice to CDF.

How do I find out more about a particular logging plan?

You can check the California Department of Forestry website for the official file of a particular logging plan.   To do this you will need the logging plan number.   The number will look like this: 1-09-127 SON.   The first 1 indicates that the plan is located in District 1, the North Coast District.   The 09 is the year it was first filed with CalFire.   The 127 indicates that it was the 127th plan filed that year (yes there can be that many in a year!)   SON indicates that it is a Sonoma County plan.   If the number is 1-09NTMP-05 SON then it is a Nonindustrial Timber Management Plan. If you know the landowners last name, the year of filing or the location, you can call the local CDF office in Santa Rosa to find the logging plan number.  The Forest Practices phone number at CalFire is (707) 576-2959.   If they are not able to locate the plan number, contact us and we will help.

What organizations can help me protect Oak Woodland?

California Oak Foundation

Laguna de Santa Rosa Foundation

What organizations can help me protect Trout and Salmon?

Golden West Women Fishers

The Pacific Coast Federation of Fishermen’s Associations

Trout Unlimited

Where can  I get legal help with environmental issues?

Wittwer Parkin, LLP CEQA law

Stephan C. Volker, Esq. CEQA law

Earth Justice General environmental law

Kimberly Burr, Esq. (707) 887-7433  CEQA and forestry law

Paul Carroll, Esq. (650) 839-8644  CEQA and forestry law

Northern California River Watch

Natural Heritage Institute

Where can I get a hydrologic assessment of a logging plan?

Dennis Jackson, Hydrologist  (831) 335-3235

Robert Curry, Hydrologist  (760) 932-7700

Where can I get a biological assessment of a logging plan?

Peter Baye PhD., biologist & coastal ecologist, (415) 310-5109  baye@earthlink.net

Where can I get a geological assessment of a logging plan?

The Engineering Geologist Ray Wadbaum  (707) 539-2577

Where can I get an assessment of fish habitat?

Patrick Higgins, Fisheries Biologist (707) 822-9428

Where can I get local forestry history?

Russian River Historical Society

How does climate change endanger forests and how can I reduce my carbon footprint?

Center for Climate Protection

Sonoma County Bicycle Coalition

Solar Works

What other organization can help with forestry issues?

Sierra Club, Sonoma Group

Sonoma Ecology Center

Western Sonoma County Rural Alliance, P.O. Box 983, Sebastopol, CA 95473

Town Hall Coalition

Where can I hold a fundraising event?

Jenner Community Club

Veterans Memorial Buildings

Where can we hold a retreat in the forest?

Wildwood Retreat

Where can I hike in the forest?


Coastwalk California

Sonoma County Regional Parks

Where can I find out about conservation easements?

Sonoma Land Trust

Bodega Land Trust

Who can help with archaeology issues on a logging plan?

Kashia Band of Pomo Indians of the Stewarts Point Rancheria,  3535 Industrial Dr., St. B-2 Santa Rosa, CA 95403

Where can I purchase sustainably produced and recycled wood products?

Berry’s Sawmill, Inc

The Lumber Baron

Natural Home Products

Where can I learn about pesticides used in forestry?

Ask EcoGirl

Californian’s for Alternatives to Toxics

Death by Chemical Forestry Herbicides

How can I determine the name of my watershed?

There are two ways:

Use Google Maps.   Search on your address then chose the “terrain” mode.   You will get a topo map of your area.   You can determine from the contour lines which way water would drain to the nearest creek or other body of water.  The name of the creek, river, or other body of water is the name of the watershed.  This is not always possible in urban areas because creeks may be in culverts underground and, therefore, not shown on maps.

or find your watershed using the US EPA’s Surf Your Watershed link.

Where can I learn about daylighting creeks?

Forest Unlimited has a program called Urban Forestry where city residents can advocate and work on getting streams that run underground opened up to run above ground in a natural in a natural riparian setting.  Forest Unlimited can be a reference in pursuing this issue.

Where can I learn about watershed protection?

Forest Unlimited is a member of the Sonoma County Water Coalition (SCWC), a coalition of over 30 local organizations working on water protection issues as well as a member of North Coast Stream Flow Coalition (NCSFC), a coalition of 18 organizations working on maintaining and increasing water flow in north coast streams.  These organizations and others are listed  under Environmental Organizations in our Resources section.

Who funds Forest Unlimited?

Mainly private donations from supporters like you fund Forest Unlimited! Occasionally we receive a small grant from a foundation.  In order to maintain our independence and objectivity we do not apply for grants from government or corporations.  If you think our work merits your support, please click on the donate button at the top of the sidebar.