Historic Guerneville threatened by Timber Harvest Plan
Unless we stop it:
- Redwoods: Giant redwoods and Douglas firs will be cut down for lumber on 224 acres that stretch from Neeley Road to Mays Canyon Road and to the Northwood Golf Course.
- Fires: Without the redwoods, highly flammable hardwood trees such as tanoak and bay will proliferate and increase fire danger.
- Road Damage: Heavy, noisy logging trucks will impact the fragile local roads, erode the hills, and cause soil to migrate down into the river.
- Landslides & Floods: Trees that absorb water and hold the soil in place will be removed.
Rainwater rushing down the hills will cause landslides and increase flooding. Road blockages may prevent evacuations on no-outlet Neeley Road during floods, fires, and other emergencies.
- Water Quality: Sediment, debris, rocks, and mud will run off the denuded hillsides and pollute the Russian River whose water we depend on for drinking and recreation.
- Ludwigia: Added nutrients in the Russian River encourage the spread of invasive ludwigia.
It robs fish of oxygen and helps mosquitoes thrive. It chokes out native plants that provide
food and shelter for otters, turtles, frogs, and water birds, creating an unnatural monoculture.
- Toxic Blue-Green Algae: Blue-green algae thrives in poor-quality, sediment-rich water.
It can be deadly to people and pets. In Sonoma County, three dogs have already died from
swallowing this toxic algae while swimming. It could happen here.
- Habitat Destruction: The forest home of birds, foxes, squirrels, and deer will be diminished.
- Public Safety: Wide logging trucks on narrow Neeley and Mays Canyon roads endanger
pedestrians, bike riders, and other drivers.
- Impaired Vistas: Lush, green vistas in the Highway 116 Scenic Corridor will never be the same. Views from nearby homes, resorts, beaches, vacation rentals, and Northwood Golf Course will be compromised.
- Tourism & Economy: Guerneville’s status as a beautiful, safe, recreation getaway will be
impacted. Tourism and real estate, mainstays of our local economy, will be affected.
The list goes on and on…
HELP STOP THIS PROJECT!
Act NOW before it’s too late!
Redwoods may be cut down as early as a month from now. Email a protest, express your concerns, and ask your questions. Every email counts. Write this week!
Send emails to Cal Fire today
Forest Practice Program Manager
Include the number of this Timber Harvest Plan on all communications:
Silver Estates THP #1-20-00084-SON
Join our email list
To receive alerts and updates, email:
Join our Facebook group
Help us hire professional and legal help. Make a tax-deductible donation through our
non-profit partner, Forest Unlimited.
Find the donations buttons on the right sidebar, and then click Donate under Guerneville Forest Coalition. The confirmation says “Forest Unlimited.” They will direct your donation to the Guerneville Forest Coalition. Thank you for helping save the forest!
Who are we?
The Guerneville Forest Coalition is a grassroots group of concerned citizens from Guerneville and neighboring communities. We are dedicated to the safety and protection of the Russian River area. Please join us to help protect our precious forest environment.