Historic Guerneville threatened by Timber Harvest Plan
Unless we stop it:
- Redwoods: Giant redwoods and Douglas firs will be cut down for lumber on 224 acres of hills that stretch from Neeley Road to Mays Canyon Road.
- Toxic Herbicides: Smaller trees will be killed with cancer-causing herbicides and left in place to rot.
- Fires: Dead, dry, decaying wood will cause extreme fire danger for years!
- Landslides: Landslides on no-outlet Neeley Road will increase because the trees that held the soil in place will be gone.
- Public Safety: Road slides and blockages will prevent evacuations during floods, fires, and other emergencies.
- Water Quality: Sediment, debris, and herbicides will wash off the denuded hillsides and cliffs into the Russian River.
- Ludwigia: Added nutrients in the river will encourage the spread of invasive ludwigia, robbing fish of oxygen and choking out native plants.
- Habitat Destruction: Fish, oers, turtles, frogs, and water birds will suffer the loss of their habitats, food, and shelter, while mosquitoes will proliferate.
- Toxic Blue-Green Algae: Toxic blue-green algae, thrives in poor-quality, sediment-rich water, and can be deadly to people and pets; three dogs in Sonoma County have died already from swallowing this algae while swimming.
- Tourism & Economy: Guerneville’s status as a beautiful, safe recreation getaway will be downgraded; the tourist industry, mainstay of our local economy, will suffer.
- Impaired Vistas: Views from Scenic Highway 116 will never be the same.
- Road Damage: Heavy, noisy logging trucks will tear up the roads and hills.
The list goes on and on…
HELP STOP THIS PROJECT!
Act NOW before it’s too late!
Redwoods may be cut down under the proposed plan as early as a month from now. Every email counts. Write this week; email a protest, expressing your concerns and questions.
Send emails to Cal Fire today
Forest Practice Program Manager
Include the number of this Timber Harvest Plan on all communications:
Silver Estates THP #1-20-00084-SON
Join our email list
To receive alerts and updates, email:
Join our Facebook group
Consider making a donation through our non-profit partner Forest Unlimited by using the “Guerneville Forest Coalition” special donation button in the sidebar.
Who are we?
The Guerneville Forest Coalition is a grassroots group of concerned citizens from Guerneville and neighboring communities. We are dedicated to the safety and protection of the Russian River area. Please join us to help protect our precious forest environment.